Wednesday, February 5, 2014

And he hasn't been back since.

And that's true, although, not for reasons you might think. Theodore did not go back to school yesterday or today but only because he is.......... sick.

And, you know, I can't even blame that on being at school. He started showing some small signs of something stirring the night before his first day. But really really small signs that you pick up on and log away but don't need to act on. The type of signs where it could go either way. Well, it chose which way it was going to go. It chose poorly. 

He got back from school and was TUCKERED OUT. Actually, in a 3 hour period he had taken 4 naps! And that was at school. Unheard of! And once he got home he barely moved. THAT is saying something for this boy on the run. He literally laid on the floor and scooted around until he fell asleep right in the middle of the room. Twice. School might be just the thing he needs to get out his loads of energy. And you'll be happy to know that he didn't spend the whole day crying. (I know because I peeked in the window of his classroom from outside and then visited his classroom for 15 minutes to check on him. Yes I did.)

All in all, I'd say things could have been worse. He was definitely confused and anxious, and not feeling well didn't help matters. But it did my heart good to see that he was okay. And SO MUCH THANKS to the two ladies (one therapist and one coordinator) that he knows very well who spent practically the entire school day with him. You two are amazing! And I know he was so thankful to see familiar faces. 

Today he is still out of it. Actually, I think he has the flu. That or a really bad cold. His oxygen requirement is up significantly, he is completely lethargic and he has been in need of his vent (which he hasn't used since June). So things aren't looking great at the moment. He's okay. He doesn't need the hospital.... yet and hopefully not at all, but poor guy is miserable.

At least we made it through the first day of school (a few pictures in the next post). I think I handled it worse than he did.... and hopefully we will all fall into an easier routine since it was pretty hectic that first morning. We'll keep pushing through and see what happens. In the meantime, I'm going to try to keep this boy out of the hospital.    

1 comment: